So a few years ago, President’s Choice (aka Superstore/Loblaws) came out with a butter chicken lasagna. There was all this hype because it had been chosen as a result of a recipe contest. Colin and I were excited to try something new, so we bought it and threw it in the oven in anticipation.
It was good…but to be honest…it lacked something…and mine is better.
Even if you have never had butter chicken lasagna before, give this recipe a try! It is a great way to introduce some new flavour to your family, and much easier than you think.
Besides, I will use any available excuse to serve naan bread as a side dish!
A couple of things to remember when making lasagna:
– You MUST let it rest, or all those carefully layered fillings will run everywhere!
– Don’t be cheap on the cheese. The best lasagna should be cheesy and delicious. Even my mom, who could pinch a penny hard while I was growing up, taught me not to be cheap on the lasagna cheese.
– It is often even better the next day. So make enough for leftovers!
2 jars of pre-made butter chicken sauce
1lb ground chicken
1/4 cup onion, diced
1 small zucchini, chopped
2-3 mushrooms, chopped (I used cremini mushrooms but button mushrooms would be fine)
1 tsp garlic powder (or 1-2 cloves fresh garlic)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 tub mascarpone cheese (ricotta can be substituted but the mascarpone is super creamy and delicious!)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Handful of chopped spinach
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups Italian blend shredded cheese
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Warm olive oil in a large pan. Brown ground chicken. When nearly cooked through, add onion and sauté. Add olive oil as required.
3. When onion starts to soften, add zucchini and mushroom.
4. Season with salt, pepper and and garlic.
5. Sauté until chicken and veggies are cooked.
6. Add butter chicken sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. In a large bowl, blend together mascarpone cheese, chopped spinach, egg, salt, pepper and garlic.
8. Layer in 9×13 baking dish as follows:
– 1/3 of sauce
– 3 noodles
– 1/3 sauce and half of shredded cheese
– 3 noodles
– mascarpone mixture
– 3 noodles
– last 1/3 of sauce and remaining shredded cheese
9. Cover in aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and golden.
10. Remove from the oven and rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Serve with warmed naan bread and enjoy!