Sometimes, you get a recipe idea from a cook book, or a favourite blog. Sometimes you get it from a tv series you don’t want to admit you binge-watched on Netflix.
Pie + Cake = Pake! Source
Humiliating TV choices aside, my big brother Paul had been dreaming up the whole “pake” idea years before Drop Dead Diva ever existed.
So for his 34th birthday, when I asked what he would like for a cake, he asked if I would try to make him one, as he has been dreaming of it for the better part of a decade.
Since Paul scared the beejeebus out of everyone last year and almost died, I would give him David Hasselhoff riding a unicorn if he wanted it, let alone a complex pastry item. Source
So enter the Black Forest Pake. Flaky pie crust, gooey cherry pie filling, dense fudgy chocolate cake, and rich folds of whipped cream. It is every delicious dessert you can think of in one bite.
And to be honest, I went into this prepared for it to miss the mark. But it is sooooooo good. The cherry pie filling marries the pie crust and cake into a blissful union. The cake is so moist it almost becomes its own kind of fudgy pie filling. The chocolate cake recipe is my Grandma’s Wacky Cake recipe. It is so easy, you will never buy a boxed cake again. Not to mention it has no milk or eggs. So. Easy.
Black Forest Pake
(Recipe created by Aubrey Lively)
Single pie crust (see below for my oil pastry crust or use your favourite crust recipe)
1 1/2 cups canned cherry pie filling
2 cups of prepared Wacky Cake batter (see below)
Small carton of whipped cream
2 Tbsp icing sugar
Dark chocolate shavings (for garnish). Make these by running a knife down the edge of a square of baking chocolate.
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 cup white sugar
6 Tbsp cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup cold water
1 tsp vanilla
6 tbsp oil
1 tbsp white vinegar
1. Prepare the raw pie crust according to directions. Place in a 9″ pie plate, flute the edges, and weigh down the centre with dry beans or a pie weight. Bake at 350 F for 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
2. While the pie crust bakes, prepare the chocolate cake by mixing all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make 3 wells in dry ingredients and put vanilla, oil and vinegar in each. Pour water over whole pan. Mix well.
3. Place the cherry pie filling in the pre-baked pie crust and spread out evenly across the base. 4. Pour 2 cups of the chocolate cake batter on top of the pie filling. Use the remainder for cupcakes! 😄 5. Place the pake in the oven at 350. Bake for 15 minutes. Cover the edges of the pie crust with aluminum foil to prevent over browning. Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
6. Remove pake from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
7. Whip cream with icing sugar until stiff peaks form. Smooth whipped cream over top of cooled chocolate cake.
8. Garnish with dark chocolate shavings and serve immediately.
(From Better Home and Gardens)
1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup cooking oil
4 Tbsp cold milk
1. In mixing bowl stir together flour and salt. In measuring cup measure oil and milk (do not stir). Add all at once to flour mixture. Stir lightly with a fork.
2. Cut 2, 10″x 10″squares of wax paper. Dampen countertop and place first square. Form pastry into loose ball and place on wax paper. Cover with second square.
3. Roll out dough to a circle to edges of wax paper. Remove top piece of wax paper. Invert crust into pie plate. Remove second sheet of wax paper. Form to pie plate and flute edges as desired. Finish as per recipe.